Department: The Indre-and-Loire
Postal code: 37400
Population: 11 968 inhabitants
Surface: 4 065 hectares
Altitude : 58 mètres.
general information :
The plate of Châtelliers, significant strategic point, was colonized
as of the Gallic time. A named agglomeration "Ambacia" or "Ambatia"
developed in relation to a bridge on the Loire. With 4th, holy Martin
founded there a church to replace a pagan temple. Amboise belonged
to a powerful comtale family and, in 1434, was confiscated by Charles
VII. The castle was the residence of Charlotte of Savoy, marries
of Louis XI. Their son, Charles VIII, was born to with it and lived
there; of return of Italy, it made there carry out significant work;
in 1498, it died there of the continuations of one wound to the
head against a low door. The castle was then inhabited by Louis
XII and François Ier; this one attracted near him Léonard de Vinci
who lived and died in the manor of Closed-Lucé. In 1560 the conspiracy
of Amboise took place: Protestants, directed by Renaudie, solved
to remove the young king François II and to remove the Own way;
repression was pitiless and Amboise was the theatre of a true massacre.
To the XVIIème century, the castle was given to Gaston of Orleans,
then was used as prison of State where Fouquet and Lauzun were held.
To the XVIIIème century, it belonged to the duke of Choiseul, whose
sumptuous castle of Chanteloup, rival of Versailles, was destroyed
in 1823. Given by Napoleon Ier the third provisional consul Roger
Ducos, the castle of Amboise was partially demolished of 1806 to
1810; thereafter, it sheltered the exile of Abd El-Kader, 1848 to
1852, before being returned in 1873 at the house of Orleans. It
belongs today to the town of Amboise.
Site of the plate of Châtelliers, significant archaeological excavations:
Neolithic layer; hiding-place of bronze, oppidum pre-Roman (movable
of Tène, Gallic currencies); Gallo-Roman habitat and furniture.
Gallic ramparts and ditches. Castle XVème and XVIème centuries:
driving passage arched with the terrace, supported by thick walls,
turn of Tiny and Hurtault turn, massive circular towers provided
with slopes suitable for motor vehicles concentric; home of the
King 1491: room of the States with 2 naves, room of the guards,
gallery with arcades, balcony of entreated, attic windows with pinnacles;
wing Louis XII with worked attic windows; carry overcome Renaissance
of a porcupine; Gothic furniture, Rebirth and Empire; gardens. Manor
of Closed-Lucé brick and hones XVème century, restored: buildings
out of horseshoe, octagonal turret of staircase, turret of guet,
gallery with wood arcades, in the park, dependence of the priory
Saint-Thomas XVème century. Field of Chanteloup: house of entry,
house of the caretaker of the pagoda, old house of the gardener-chief;
old sugar refinery; pagode1778 by Camus: high tower of 6 stages
in withdrawal ones on the others, octagonal arrow; wooded part of
the park; water part of 3 ha in half-moon, boulingrin. Strong castle
XVème century: vault and gardens located in front of the castle.
Town hall 1505, restored XIXème century. Hotel of Merry: frontage
Rebirth, decorated cornice; garden Rebirth. Turn of the Clock, turn-carries
strengthened XIVème century, surmounted by a belfry XVème century.
Attics of César XVIème century: cellars dug in the rock, galleries
leading to it connected by a staircase. Turn of enclosure, quay
of the Mall. Houses XVème century: 42, street of the Harmony, and
2, Merry street. House XVIème century, street Rabelais, with the
angle of the street Destouches. Hotel XVIème century, street Rabelais
and place of the Trade. Hotel XVIIème century, 20 street of the
Harmony. Monumental fountain by max Ernst 1968, quay of the Mall.
In the surroundings: castles of Ménaudière XVème and XIXème centuries,
Paradise XVIIIème and XIXème centuries, Roufflardière XIXème century
néo-Rebirth. Church Saint-Denis XIIème century, altered XVème and
XVIIème centuries, restored XIXème century: nave in a collateral
collateral north and 2 south XIIème and XVIème centuries, vaults
angevines, pilot wheels in cradle, square of the transept with antiquated
ribbed vault, chorus and apse with 5 sides with vaults XVème century,
2 altered side chapels XVIème century, northern gate Romance, remade
historiés capitals XIXème century, sepulchre XVIème century, lying
of woman XVIème century (the "drowned Woman"), retable XVIIème century,
fabric XVIIème century ("holy François of Paule received with Amboise").
Church Our-Lady-of-End-of-Bridges XVIème Century, Altered XIXème
Century: retable XVIIème century, Christ of wood XVIème century.
Church Saint-Florentin cheese XVème Century, Altered XIXème Century:
nave with collateral, apse with 3 sides, blazing windows, bell-tower
XVIème century; stoup XVème century. Old Midsummer's Day vault of
the Island XIIème and XIIIème centuries. Vault Saint-Hubert (vault
of the castle) 1493: nave of a span, transept, apse with 3 sides,
ribbed vaults to carved keys, gate with the rich person decoration
surmounted by a high relief (legends of saint Christophe and Hubert
saint); modern stained glasses by max Ingrand, bones among which
are those of Léonard de Vinci. Vault of Closed-Lucé (oratorical
of Anne of Brittany): frescos XVIème century, by the pupils of Léonard
de Vinci. Former priory of Saint-Thomas XVème and XIXème centuries.
With the cemetery: tombs of Léonard Perrault, the duke of Choiseul
and Henri-Michel d' Amboise. 4 silos known as "attics of César,
galleries and staircase, street of the Harmony. Bollée wind mill,
of column type, the pump and its shelter, in Gabillère. Museum of
the town hall: Virgin of the belfry XIVème century, tapestries of
Aubusson coming from Chanteloup, portraits of the duke of Choiseul,
letters of kings de France. Museum of the Post office, with the
hotel of Merry: documents on the post office with the horses, models
of diligences, costumes of postilion, first tourist guide of France
(published in 1553). Visit castle: Gothic furniture and Rebirth,
tapestries of Aubusson XVIIème century, portraits of the family
of Orleans. Small museum in the "house of the caretaker" of the
Pagoda. Visit Closed-Lucé: furniture XVème and XVIème centuries,
XVIème tapestries and XVIIème centuries, memories of Léonard de
Vinci, models produced by IBM according to the drawings and plans
of Vinci. Magic house: 300 characters animated in 25 tables. House
of art mocrominiature: portaire of Rabelais on a seed of poppy,
gold sculptures on a hair, the smallest book of the world.
Site of the castle, on a plate dominating the Loire Valley, with
its confluence with Piles up. Accesses of the castle. Site of the
pagoda of Chanteloup with the water part. Park of Closed-Lucé. Property
Richardière, in the west of the city. Cemetery and alley bordered
of yews. Island Midsummer's Day. Together banks of the Loire. Forest
of Amboise. Tourist road racing set.
and productions :
Forestry development. Vines, orchards, tobacco. AOC Touraine-Amboise.
Agricultural cooperatives. Tourist cellar. Gastronomical specialities
(pork-butcheries, fish of the Loire).
Flowered city "2 flowers". Green station. Fair of Spring: third
weekend of April. Fair with Melons: first Wednesday of September.
Fair of Sainte-Catherine: second Saturday of November. Annual stock
sale: last weekend of June. Market: Friday, Sunday. Employers' festival:
June 24. Celebrates Eggs, with the Pagoda of Chanteloup: Easter
Monday. Celebrates of Saint-Hubert: first Sunday of November. Historical
spectacle with characters in costumes of time: July and August (with
the castle). Show of the antique dealers: July. Commandery of the
High-class wines of Amboise (since 1967). Visit royal castle. Visit
pagoda of Chanteloup and gardens. Visit Lucé Field. Visit city in
the small train. Mini park castles: reconstitution of 43 castle
of the Loire Valley to the 1/25°, on 2 hectares; cinema 3d; park
with 600 bonsaïs. Walks in carriole, attachment. Fish, drives out,
pedestrian excursions, passage of the GR3, horsemanship. Swin golf
Arbrelle (8 hectares): 18 holes. Complex tourist of the Gold island
(old Midsummer's Day island). Camp-site, VVF, inn of youth. Ring
Ambacia (local history, archaeological research and linguistics).
MJC. Office of tourism.
page has been automatically translated from French. View
Original Web Page.